Online Security Guard Training - Manitoba
In Manitoba, the security guard licenses are offered by the Manitoba Department of Justice - Security Guard and Investigators Division. Prior to applying for your license, you must successfully complete a provincially approved course - which this is. Our course meets all the requirements from the Manitoba Registrar.
Once you complete, the course we'll help you book your exam and get your career started quickly.
What we offer:
- Approved Curriculum with Alberta Government
- Hosted on a world-class learning management system
- Course access 24/7
- Ability to take your course on tablet, desktop or mobile
- Access to a growing industry very quickly
- Help Booking your exam
A security guard in Manitoba is defined as anyone who “guards or patrols for the purpose of protecting persons or property, or detects loss of or damage to the property or premises of another person”. (Source: The Private Investigators and Security Guards Act)
There are two types of security guard licence in Manitoba:
- A one-year licence for those who have a certificate showing completion of the Manitoba Security Guard Training Program, including the exam;
- A six-month licence to use while you complete your training program. This licence is temporary and issued one time only.
Your Manitoba security guard licence is portable, which means it goes with you from job to job. It is your responsibility as a security guard employee to apply for, renew and maintain your individual licence.
*Licences for businesses and private investigators in Manitoba are issued separately and the process is not covered here.
Who Can Get a Security Guard Licence in Manitoba?
To be eligible for a Manitoba security guard licence you must:
- Be over 18 years old
- Be eligible to work in Canada
- Complete the training and exam requirements
If you have a criminal record or have been charged, your application for a Manitoba security guard licence may not be approved. The decision is up to the Registrar of The Private Investigators and Security Guards Act.
Applying for Your Manitoba Security Guard Licence
There are three types of application you can make to get a security guard licence in Manitoba:
- Apply for a one-time, temporary, non-renewable licence while you complete training
- Apply for a one-year security guard licence for the first time (a new licence)
- Renew your existing one-year security guard licence
To apply for a new, one-year security guard licence:
- Take an approved Manitoba security guard training program **
- Pass the provincial exam
- Apply for a Manitoba security guard licence
To renew a valid security guard licence, skip to step 3.
You can also skip to step 3 if you are currently enrolled in a licensed training program and want to apply for a temporary, six-month licence before you finish training and write your exam.
**You may be exempt from training if you have sufficient experience or have completed equivalent training outside Manitoba. Contact the Private Investigators and Security Guards Program for more information (see below contact information).
1. Take the Manitoba Security Guard Training Program
The Canadian Academy of Guard Training course is a Ministry-approved Manitoba Security Guard Training Program, licensed by the government. This 40-hour online course will fully prepare you for the Manitoba security guard licensing exam. The course is easy to follow and engaging with prep tests that let you gauge your own readiness for the licensing exam.
2. Pass the Manitoba Provincial Security Guard Exam
When you’ve finished the security guard training program, the next step is to take the exam. You may register for the exam with your training provider. In Manitoba, security guard exams are taken in person at the training provider’s location and the exam is supervised by the Ministry. Manitoba Justice charges a non-refundable $25 fee for each exam you book. If you don’t pass, you can rewrite the exam up to three times. After three attempts, you must repeat the training program. When you pass the exam, you’ll receive an official certificate from the Ministry.
3. Apply for a Manitoba Security Guard License
To apply for a security guard licence, fill out the application form and send it together with supporting documents and payment to:
Manitoba Justice Private Investigators and Security Guards Program
1800 – 155 Carlton
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8
Applications may also be e-mailed to email@example.com, but you must follow-up the email application by sending your physical application by mail.
The steps to apply for a new licence are:
- Read the application guide on applying for a new security guard licence.
- Bring identification to your local police station and request: ***
- a copy of a Criminal Record check and;
- a copy of a current Child Abuse Registry check.
- Fill out the application for a new individual security guard licence. The application must include:
- a copy of your training certificate if you are applying for a one-year license; ****
- your Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry check;
- a recent photo of yourself that meets the application guidelines.
- Submit payment with your application. The Ministry security guard licensing fee is $30. You can pay by:
- Cash (do not send by mail)
- Direct deposit
- Credit card (do not send authorization form by email)
- Money order
- Company cheque (payable to the Minister of Finance)
- Certified personal cheque (payable to the Minister of Finance)
If your new or temporary security guard licence is approved, it will be mailed to the Manitoba address you listed on your application. Applications may take between seven and ten business days to process. Mailing times through Canada Post may vary.
Submitting a complete application will speed up the process of getting your licence. Incomplete applications will be returned and you must reapply, making sure your police documents are still valid.***
Detailed instructions for applying and the application form can be found online here.
***Both police checks must be made within 6 months of submitting your application. After 6 months these documents expire and will not be valid for your application.
**** An approved grandfathering letter or successful exam challenge letter may be accepted if you already have security guard training or experience.
After You Are a Licensed Security Guard
When you receive your Manitoba security guard licence (temporary or one year) you may start working in a job where your main duties are to protect people or property.
You may only work as a security guard for a business licensed to provide security guards or an employer registered as a security guard employer.
You must provide your employer with a photocopy of your licence card. While on duty, you must always carry a valid licence and be prepared to show your licence card on request.
It is your responsibility to maintain a valid security guard licence while employed in the field. You must renew your licence every year, before the expiry date passes. Your photo, Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks must be redone every three years.
To maintain your licence in good standing you must adhere to the Manitoba Private Investigators and Security Guards Act and its regulations.
Get Help or More Information on Applying for a Manitoba Security Guard Licence
For questions on the licence application process contact:
Private Investigators and Security Guards Program
1800 – 155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 3H8
Telephone: 204-945-1242 or 204-945-2825
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.