Saturday, December 20, 2014
How Do I Become a Security Guard in Manitoba?
In Manitoba, in order to become a security guard you must be licensed under the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act . Under this Act, you must meet the following guidelines (below) in order to become a licenced security guard. Working without a valid Manitoba Security Licence is considered an offence under the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act. If found guilty of the offence it could result in a monetary fine up to $10,000 and or up to 1 year in prison for the individual. Companies found employing unlicensed guards could also be fined.
If you are at least 18 years of age and are legally entitled to work in Canada you can get your Manitoba Security Guard License and start working by taking the following steps:
1. Get your CHILD ABUSE REGISTRY CHECK (CARC).
In Winnipeg you can go to:
Child Abuse Registry Unit – Child Protection Branch
201-114 Garry Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4V5.
The fee for this check is $10.00 payable when you apply. It could take between 2 and 8 weeks for your CARC to be processed, therefore, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you apply for this at your earliest opportunity.
2. Get your CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK (CRC)
In Winnipeg you can go to:
- The Public Safety Building at 151 Princess Street
- The Commissionaires at 290 Burnell Street.
The fee for this starts at $30.00 depending on where you apply and if you require finger printing. A vulnerable sector search is NOT required to work as a security guard in Manitoba.
You can expect to wait somewhere between 2 business days and 5 weeks for a regular CRC, and up to 6 months for finger printing depending on the agency.
If you live outside of Winnipeg (in a rural area) your local RCMP detachment can process your Criminal Record Check.
3. Register for security guard training with an approved training provider, complete the course and obtain training certificate. Law Enforcement and Security Training Academy of Canada (LESTAC) / www.GuardTraining.ca is an approved training provider you can verify this by visiting:
4. Write and pass the Province of Manitoba Security Guard licensing exam.
Exam Dates are pre-determined by Manitoba Justice and held at 10am and 1pm
For the latest dates and times click here.
5. Complete the application form found at
6. Your completed application must include the following:
A copy of your:
- Training Certificate
- Digital photo as per MB Justice requirements
The location for applying is:
Private Investigators and Security Guards Program
1800-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB R3C 5R9
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8am – 4 pm
The annual license fee is $30.00 payable by Visa, MasterCard, debit, cash, money order or online payment.
It could take anywhere from 2-3 weeks to process your application.
Still have more questions? Check out the FAQs Section at Manitoba Justice or you can call them at:
Private Investigators and Security Guards Program - Program Administrative Assistant - 945-2825 or [email protected]
Call us at 204.982.6840 or email us at [email protected]
Students Trained Since 2007
"Thank you! This course gave me the experience that I can use in life as well as with my work." -
Paige M., Winnipeg, MB
E: [email protected]
987 Portage Ave,
View Larger Map